It’s that time of year when everyone is listing what they are thankful for. One thing I have never liked, is doing what everyone else is doing, just because they are doing it. But, since the “top 10” is the thing to do and it is Thanksgiving week, I thought this week I would make an attempt to fall in line and do what everyone else is doing. So here are my top 10 things I’m thankful for. Enjoy.
10. I’m thankful that I live in the south and I can sweat without the hassle of exercise. All I have to do is stand outside for a minute or two and I’m good. Even in November it’s in the 80’s!!
9. I’m thankful that I live in a house with two air conditioning units so I can minimize #10, even if one AC unit goes out.
8. I am thankful for digital cameras. In the old days of film, I was very careful about what pictures were “film worthy”. The film cost money and the developing cost money and I had no money. Every picture had to be worth it. Once developed, I would enjoy them, share them with friends and file them away, never to be seen again. Now, I can take as many pictures as I want. Thanks to digital cameras, I now have around 25,000 photos that will never be seen again. I can even take 20 pictures of the same tree and I don’t care.
7. I am thankful for software like Adobe Lightroom and Apple Photos that I can spend hours and hours of my time creating a database and cataloging all 25,000 photos that I have, just in case I have a desire to go back and look at those pictures. With the data base, I can sometimes find a particular picture I am looking for. And when I finish cataloging these 25,000 photos I get to start cataloging the 1,500 photos I took while I was cataloging the 25,000 photos… and the cycle continues.
6. I am thankful for power tools. I enjoy building things. Growing up, all we had was the hand saw. It’s amazing to me that anything ever got built back then. Now with power tools, I can mess up a project much faster. You know… measure twice, cut once, throw that piece away because I still cut it too short, measure twice…
5. I am thankful for computers, the Internet, and blogs so I can write my lists of things I’m thankful for, just in case anyone else really cares.
4. I am thankful for meteorologists that give us the weather forecasts. That way we have a pretty good idea of what the weather is not going to be like. Who knew it was going to be in the 30’s last night (I refer back to #10). I want a job where I can be wrong 80% of the time and everyone thinks that is good.
3. I am thankful for smart phones. That way when I go to the store and leave my phone at home, I can look at the shopping list on my phone when I get home and see exactly what I forgot and head back to the store to get it.
2. I am thankful for lists. I have always had lists. At one point I even had a list of my lists. Now I just have one spreadsheet with all of my lists in one convenient location. My bucket list. My to do list. My goals. My house projects. And the list goes on…
1. I am thankful that the standard is the “top 10” and not the “top 20”, because now I am done.
I hope you enjoyed my top 10. Maybe one day I’ll write a top 10 of things that I am really thankful for. The problem with that is narrowing it down to only 10 as there are many, many things that I am truly thankful for as God has blessed my life immensely with family and friends. I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving, full of the 4 F’s. Family, friends, food, and football.
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.